What You Should Be Doing Outside of the Gym
The speed at which the metabolic processes occur is called your metabolic rate. So many different factors contribute to the metabolic rate such as a healthy digestive system, a healthy nervous system and a healthy thyroid gland. Follow these tips to speed up your metabolic rate:
- Make eating breakfast the very first thing you do when you wake up in the morning. Your metabolism will get an incredible jump start by doing this.
- Eating fruits and vegetables that are high in digestive enzymes will help your body absorb food properly throughout the day. Eating fibrous fruit will help to lower your insulin levels and eating green vegetables will help to clear the body of toxins.
- Consume protein daily. Your protein intake should be one gram of protein per one pound of lean muscle per day. For example, if your fat free weight is 113 pounds then you would consume 113 grams of protein. Whey protein is the best protein to consume because of how quickly it digests.
- Drink tea or coffee. Caffeine gives the metabolism a great boost. But, more than three cups of coffee a day will be excessive and may lead to insomnia and an incredible amount of irritability. Drinking green tea is also very important when it comes to weight loss. It contains a component called epigallocatechin gallate which is a strong antioxidant.
- Take Vitamin B complex daily. The vitamin combination helps the body to metabolise your protein, carbs and fats. It also does a great job of supporting a healthy nervous system.
- Incorporate anaerobic training in your daily routine as it will help you build muscle. Building muscle mass will always increase your metabolic rate.
- Eat cinnamon, cloves or bay leaves because they help to reduce sugar cravings. Cinnamon also helps to metabolise sugar and balance insulin levels.
- Eating kelp will support the overall health of your thyroid gland. The thyroid gland produces hormones that regulate metabolism.
- Incorporating aerobic training in your program at least three times a week will also help to speed up your metabolism.
- Try to drink apple cider vinegar which contains the fibre pectin. It will help to flush toxins, cholesterol and fat from the body. Drink two tablespoons combined with honey and water.
All of these factors are very important for speeding up your metabolism, but your basal metabolic rate is the base rate of your metabolism that your body typically seeks to maintain. This set point is typically controlled by your genetics and other environmental factors. Regardless of this genetic metabolic set point though, you can still change it through dietary means and also through a consistent physical workout activity level.
Source: Obadike, O. (2011, May/June). 10 Step to Speed Up Your Metabolism. Inside Fitness, 104.